Reflection on Writing
Questions that Promote Student Self-reflection and Metacognition
Analysis of Skills and Processes
1. What makes these your best pieces?
2. How did you go about writing them?
3. What problems did you encounter? How did you solve them?
4. What makes your most effective piece different from your least effective piece?
5. What goals did you set for yourself? How well did you accomplish them?
6. What was particularly important to you during the process of creating this work?
7. If you could do further work on any or all of the pieces of writing in your portfolio, what would you do?
8. How does what you have learned this year as writer relate to what you learned before?
9. What I still don’t understand is….
10. What conditions contribute to your best writing?
11. Was there a particular writing piece that allowed you to make a break-through in your writing? (an “ah ha!” moment)
How Skills and Processes
Affective and Other Areas